Happy Easter everyone! Today I’m using a fun new stamp, Tilda with Eggs in her Apron, given to me from a friend Maria – thanks Maria! 😀 This was a fun Tilda to color and I ended up making monogrammed tags for the Easter Baskets … and I was able to refrain from adding a nose and mouth on Tilda this time. LOL
The purpose of this experiment is to show any paper can be effectively used for coloring as long as you know the individual paper’s attributes. For those starting off and worried about finding the “perfect” paper right away, then worry no more and start out with something convenient and readily available.
For this test I used three of the paper samples and colored the images using the same techniques. I started with the darkest color then blended up to the lightest color. They were all colored with the same markers except for Tilda’s hair.
I didn’t want you to be confused with the monogram above so here are the three papers used along with their assigned letter:
- K. Georgia-Pacific Copy & Print Paper 20# (standard printer paper)
- P. X-Press It Blending Card Bright White 92#
- Q. Make ‘it’ Colour Blending Card 250 gsm
Below you can compare these images side-by-side and see close up areas of the shoes and eggs, as well as a full view of all three tags.
(Click on the picture for a zoomed look.)
My techniques changed depending on the paper I used. For example, when coloring on K I had to use quick light strokes to keep the bleeding maintained. Even so, when looking at the eggs, you’ll notice the edges are not as clean and it looks slightly more blurry than in P or Q. However, this problem isn’t as noticeable in larger areas such as the shoes.
When coloring on P and Q, I often went back in with the darker colors to keep the depth. I didn’t need to do this with K, however, there were other advantages to P and Q that K doesn’t have. For example, I could take my time blending and come back with additional colors building layer upon layers much easier.
For the purpose of this test, P and Q didn’t have very many differences. However, in some areas that already had a lot of ink, I noticed when I applied a wet layer on top of a dry layer the texture was a little different and became grainy.
Lastly, you’ll notice that K is so thin I should have used an additional white layer before placing it on the card so the decorative papers wouldn’t show through.
4 Crafty Chicks Challenge #34
Craft Your Days Away Challenge #18
Scrappy Frogs Hoppy Easter Challenge
Sweet Stampin Challenges
Main Stamp: Tilda with Eggs in her Apron (Mag)
Patterned Paper: Togetherness (CC)
Metal Die: Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 8, Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 17, and Magnolia Doohickey Vintage Lace
-skin tone: E000, E00, E11, R11, R12
-hair: E50, E51, E53, E55; E43, E4, E47, E49
-clothes: R000, R00, R11 R12, E50, E51, E53
-eggs: R11, R12, R14, R17, BG70, BG72, BG75, YG61, YG63, YG67, YR30, YR31, Y35
-background: BG72, C3, BG11, C1, BV31, BG70, 0